Saturday, December 13, 2008

Country Club or Community Center?

by Courtney

We've been doing a lot of advocating for the spreading this village philosophy, but really, how open is our village? I have my opinion, but I'm interested in hearing everyone else's. Are we an exclusive country club or are we an open and inviting community center and why? I don't think either is wrong, but I do think we need to come to grips with who we really are.

5 comments:

Brandon said...

Country Club or Community Center is an interesting way to put it. I think that I would have addressed it a little differently. I see the Village similarly to any organization, almost like a small business. A group of people come together for a common cause in one effort. They design a product. People come into the store to test and to buy it, and then take it home to use however they please.

So how does this relate to us? We are the business owners. Those that layed the foundation. Our product? The Village. When we get together, we invite others in to see what we are all about in hopes to take our vision and multiply it time and time again. And who benefits? Well the store makes money and the customer has a new toy. Here, we wade in joy from sharing our vision, and others increase as they create their villages as well.

So no. I do not think that we are exclusive, but rather unique. This is something so innovative; a never before thought of invention that will carry us far as a Village, and is so contagious that people cant help but to catch on.

My 2 cents! Over and out!

Anonymous said...

Country club or community center...interesting comparison. I would say we are a community center; we are welcoming to others. Country club sounds so exclusive and contemptible. We are certainly not a country club as none of us think we have arrived. However, all community centers have a core group that they can rely on, relate to, argue with, etc. Or think it of this way - I compare our village to a family; we are hospitable to others but the others eventually go home and you have the core or nucleus. This core or DNA is the sum total of the village because the members have history together, share similar values, worldview, etc. This core or DNA gives our village a unique identity like each of our identities is unique (to borrow Brandon's term).

papa luke

Papa Stan said...

We are a Country Club. We may not find that attractive, but that's what we
are. We've never had any new members and all of our visitors have required
a sponsor. We may not like it, but the mirror don't lie.

Rita -- On the Record said...

Let us not forget what a village is. A grouping of natives. Others may come to visit, but they will go back to their village.

And remember, we have discussed letting others move in and the final "vote" has always been no.

It doesn't me we are elitist. It means we like are village they way it is. In fact, if we allow citizens, we are actually creating a new and different vilage.

Tim's Tips said...

We are a country club...but located off of 27th & South Benton. In other words we have our own unique "flavor". I agree, we are not elitist. We welcome all with open arms...just not permanently.

But you know what, thats okay because something need to remain exclusive! And if what we have created inspires others to create their own "Country Clubs" like ours, then the better the entire "community" will be.